MCP51 AC97 on-board sound worked when I installed Ubuntu, then stopped!

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Mon Aug 21 12:17:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:29:20PM +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-08-19, john.ennew <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
>
> > When I run lspci -v I get:
>
> > 0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> > 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
> > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.: Unknown device 1713
> > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 4
> > I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
> > I/O ports at e000 [size=64]
> > Memory at ffaff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
> > Memory at ffaff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> > Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> My sound hardware is somewhat different:
>
> 0000:00:10.2 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
>         Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp: Unknown device 8213
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 209
>         I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
>         I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
>         Memory at fe02c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>         Capabilities: <available only to root>

I have a similar Audio Controller and although I could play sounds with
alsa with the standard setup, I could not capture any sound.  So I
switched to the Nvidia-driver (nvsound).  Now I can use the
OSS-sound-system but alsa is not working.  I can capture and play sound.

I am considering buying a different sound card.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught
      up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord
      in the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17