Subject: Changing from Windows

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Aug 21 06:55:58 UTC 2006

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ted Quick <rim_molder at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Changing from Windows
> To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
> <20060821004119.81482.qmail at web34813.mail.mud.yahoo.com>

[...]
> Is there any way to run IE (or fake it) in Linux or am I stuck
> using Win XP in dual boot mode?

Well there is. To run IE with Linux, imho one of the easiest and
least painful ways is to use ies4linux
www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html

There a lots of other possiblities to achieve this. For a  more
detailed look, you could start from here:
http://frankscorner.org/

If you would like to "fake" it, that is also possibley, but
depends on what you exactly want to do. Basically, you link the
browser of your choice, i.e. konqueror, firefox, firefox on
wine...., to start when "iexplore.exe" is called.

However I would think, the first line of defense to make
your app work would be to use the "real IE" on Wine and see
what happens.

Note that this implies a potential licensing issue. According
to the ie6 and dcom98 licenses (called EULA"), you must own a
copy of windows 98 or higher to legally use it on Linux).

hth
Eberhard