no sound after suspend

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 19 23:01:21 UTC 2006

hi folks,

i'm running dapper on my dell d820 laptop, with a suspend2-enabled
kernel from dagobah.  suspend-to-ram seems broken, but suspend-to-disk
works pretty well.  the main issue for me is that sound is very finicky
on wake-up.  sometimes it works fine; sometimes it appears not to be
working, but repairs magically if i hit the mute button a couple of
times; and sometimes sound is genuinely messed up.  so i get nessages
like this from mpg123:

Can't open default sound device!

or this from vlc:

[00000321] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:192000
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
[00000327] alsa audio output error: write failed (Streams pipe error)
[00000327] alsa audio output error: write failed (Streams pipe error)

...  when this happens, i can sometimes fix the problem by logging out,
at which point i will hear the ubuntu logout sounds.  but once the
problem still persisted after a reboot -- which was a little scary!

most of the time i thinkthat some process has locked up the /dev/dsp
device, but other times i'm not sure.

this is all the more annoying as i am recovering from a serious accident
in which i broke 11 bones including 3 serious breaks in my right arm,
and i spend most of my time in bed watching movies on my laptop.
hacking is harder when you can't type!

all help appreciated.  i have suspended delivery from all my lists, so
i'd also be grateful for a cc.  thanks,

matt