bt878 working perfectly, until the next boot!

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 10:16:49 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Ricardo C O Freitas <ricardocastanho at uol.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got to make my video board to work with sound and everything but, that's
> until next boot!
>
> I've place de modprobe bttv and bt878 in /etc/modules.
>
> How can I make it last?
>
> TIA
>
> Ricardo
> new to ubuntu and debian
>
> --
> In Lak'ech - Mitakuye Oyasin - Ubuntu

Hi Ricardo!

I am new as well.

First I beleive you need to do:

sudo depmod -a

Which I believe will build all of the dependencies related to your
modules (and everybody elses) into the system (everybody knows the
language of everybody else - so to speak).

With that done do a:

  sudo modprobe bttv

and:

   sudo modprobe bt878

And THEN check and see that these modules are in /etc/modules.

Here is how my /etc/modules looks:

---------------------
tod at tod-desktop:~$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
psmouse
tod at tod-desktop:~$
---------------------

The last line above is a prompt of course.  I do not think you need "modprobe
bttv" in that file or "modprobe bt878".  Probably the result will be
looking something like:

---------------------
tod at tod-desktop:~$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
psmouse
bttv
bt878
tod at tod-desktop:~$

I have not directly done this specifically to do this and watch the
results so do a:

man depmod

man module

man modprobe