Gnome Login Font

Glenn J. Mason glenn at glennji.com
Fri Aug 18 18:15:58 UTC 2006

> I know this is a really silly thing, but it's been bugging me ever
> since I installed Dapper.  The font used for userid and password on
> the Gnome login screen looks too big; in particular, the dots that
> represent the password sit right on the bottom of the password box.
> Is there a way to tune this without rebuilding GDM?

GDM is themeable, and the themes live in /usr/share/gdm/themes.

I think Human is the default theme for Ubuntu 6.06 -- if you don't want to get into making your own themes, just edit /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/Human.xml and change the fonts you'll find within.  (Although you should probably copy the Human directory to, say, HumanSmallFonts, edit the xml file, then tell GDM to use that new theme via gdmsetup (Administration -> Login Window).

There may be other ways to achieve this too, but that seems the easiest to me!