Gnome desktop fails to start after login

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 12:23:33 UTC 2006

Hi Alexander,

> Okay. But the desktop doesn't show?
>
> Are you using VIA hardware - especially VIA sound hardware
> and are you using the new (and broken for some users) -26 kernel?

NVidia chipset.  Sorry I haven't checked the kernel.  I'm now answering
your posting on another HD, FC5_64, same PC.

I think the PC is running on the latest kernel.  Just installed Ubuntu
yesterday and ran "apt-get upgrade" afterwards.

Ubuntu was runing without problem before lunch only Firefox having
problem.  After lunch I switched on the PC and X-server can't be
started.  It puzzles me.

Before I was testing Ubuntu-6.0.6-amd64 on this PC and have problem on
Firefox.  Therefore I erased it and installed Ubuntu-6.0.0-i386 still
having the same problem.

> > I can switch to text console mode to run command lines.
>
> Ok. Login there and run
>
>         killall esd

$ sudo killall esd
esd: no process killed

> Then switch back to X with Alt+F7 and see, if you're now logged
> in to X.

X-server still failed to start.

B.R.
SL