Is "Develop" a good term for Ubuntu-based distro?

Wade Jones wjones at hughes.net
Fri Aug 18 04:27:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 17 August 2006 23:07, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
 I'm doing a school project, and the evaluator told me that I can't use the
 word "develop", since the project will be based on Ubuntu, and he said that
 if I'm going to use the word "develop", the project would have to be not
 based on anything, even Debian.

 In my understanding, develop can have alot of meaning, I think it does not
 necessarily mean, from scratch, but if a software developer coined the term
 develop to credit a certain project, it might mean that the project is an
 improvement or a evolution of the certain project.

 Since, Ubuntu is based on Debian, can the ubuntu folks say "We 'develop' a
 totally free OS.",
 or for other ubuntu based distro, can they say "We 'develop' this new
 radical UltimateOS(tm)"
 and for my schoolwork, do I have the right to use the term "develop"?

Some definitions of develop indicate new creation, but there are also many
usages of develop that indicate an improvement or evolution of [something]
already existing.

http://tinyurl.com/q7yu3

That being said, unless you really think that you can win a debate over
semantics with the evaluator, perhaps it would be wisest to stick with doing
what is recommended.................