System freeze when logging out

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 01:13:47 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Lorin Pino <ljpino at grm.net> wrote:
> Sometimes (once every two or three days) when logging out lorin (does
> not happen when logging out from my wife's), the greeter will only come
> up part way and stop.  There will be a white screen with the outline of
> where things should be on the screen.  I am running 5.10, with the
> Debian Blue List greeter.  The only thing I can see in logs is:
> localhost gdmgreeter[8703] Theme broken: must have pam-message label!
>
> Any idea why this is an intermittent problem, and how to fix it?
> Everything works fine after a reboot, so it is only an annoyance.  Thanks
> ~Lorin

Hi Lorin!

This is a bit out of my familiar territory.  I have never used a
greeter that I know of (I will probably be educated - hope so).

This site looks promising for background:

http://www.5z.com/jirka/gdm-documentation/x1168.html

To me "Theme Broken:" and then "Must have pam-message label" would
indicate that one of your themes (or it's user application??) is not
compliant with the theme rules established.

To fix:   Update??  Use a different Theme??  Find out where the
current Theme breaks and add the proper labeling process??

All I can do is guess here.  I hope others can respond better for you.

Good Hunting!

Tod