/opt is missing

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 21:49:53 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

> Well, well, well - in how far is acrobat7 more "optional" than,
> lets say, KDE for *Ubuntu*, ie. not Kubuntu?

Insofar as acrobat7, installed from Adobe's site, is not part of the
"Ubuntu operating system" it's an optionally installed package that
can live happily in /opt.  Ubuntu does not supply software (other than
the previously mentioned LTSP client directories) that lives in /opt,
while many vendors (most notably Sun) do.

On an Ubuntu system, /opt is more or less going to look like a
"/usr/local for larger packages".  Instead of creating a
/usr/local/java, for example, you can use /opt/java instead.  Instead
of /usr/local/povray, you can use /opt/povray.

If you were to install KDE (a very large software package) on an
Ubuntu system, while at the same time eschewing the normal package
management tools for doing so, then /opt/kde would be a logical place
to put it.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."