How many LTSs? (was Re: Why 6.06.1 ?)

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Thu Aug 17 02:42:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 22:25, mmcmonster wrote:
> Well, presumably someone in the future that has the option of
> downloading 6.06.4 or 7.10 will realize that 7.10 is a newer version
> (obviously) and that 6.06.4 is a bugfix of 6.06 (also, obviously).
> This is maybe easier for them to understand if they -didn't- know about
> the date-based versioning scheme.  Even if they knew about the numbering
> scheme, if shouldn't be too dificult for them to understand that a 6.x.x
> release is based on older code than a 7.x release.

I was just wondering. Will every version since Dapper be LTS? It wil be
amazing the ammount of space they wil all occupy in servers and mirrors a
couple years from now.

Debian only supports one "old stable". If I still can count correctly, by the
time Dapper is officially relieved of service, and assuming 2 LTS
releases/year, there will be 8 different full versions of main and restricted
at least (I don't see any reason to multiply uni/multiverse). Talk about disk
space!

Not to mention concurrent bug tracking systems and such. Will there be an army
of ants working for Canonical by then?

regards
FF