neubie with linux - need a lot of info

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Aug 16 22:40:23 UTC 2006

Elsabe wrote:
> hi,
> I have just installed UBUNTU 6.06 on my AMD Athlone with the following
> hardware; - 722 mb  CPu, 256 mb ram, maxtor 80 g hhd, geforce fx 6200
> graphic card and some kind of DVD writer aaand no internet at home.
>
> i have never even considered to use linux before now and i must say i'm
> very much impressed with what i got except for the fact that to a old
> microsoft user, it's very different.
>
> the first thing i tested was to try and watch a movie, and needless to
> say, it didn't work. the system said that i need some sort of codex or
> something to enable me to watch VOB files.
>
> then i noticed my geforce card was not installed as a geforce but as a vga.
>
> then i tried to install a linux based game - and once again i made a
> total mess of things. don't know how to intall.
>
> please remember i do not have internet access at home and i'm very
> definitly going to learn this operating system, so can you help me on
> how and what i must do.

welcome!
In addition to other responses, I wonder if you have looked out for
any local linux user groups (LUGs) in your locality? Most of these are
very welcoming to new users, and can be very helpful indeed. It is
just possible that you could find someone who could put certain items
onto cd for you making internet access less problematic.
--
ac