Problems with bootable cd's

Rene Richard van Hassel r.r.v.hassel at tue.nl
Wed Aug 16 06:44:42 UTC 2006

Hellow goatflyer,

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:58 +0100, goatflyer wrote:
> BIOS write-protection of MBR is sometimes called 'boot virus
> protection'.  Some bios do not have this feature.  Just look through
> all the BIOS menus looking for 'boot sector' or 'virus protection'

In the bios I saw no write protection or something like that.
But yesterday evening I got some version of Ubuntu (alternate),
which is going well. (Meanwhile I have thrown more then 10 cd's away.
This is not what I expected from Ubuntu. )
The cd, in question, boots well, and the installation is going well.
Also the choice in the partioner for an ext3 file system.
Also the choice where to put grub on the disk.

> Your machine is large enough that your startup problems are not due to
> insufficient memory.  Why X won't start on dapper --- were you asking
> for a strange resolution perhaps?  The idea would be to try to run with
> (perhaps too) simple settings like (800x600) and US keyboard, and only
> after try increasing resolution and color depth.  Try to duplicate the
> settings used with the LiveCD which worked for you. (Boot the Live CD
> and check resolution if you aren't sure).

Only X is not starting well.
I have a GeForge graphic card, may be there is no driver found
in the set of drivers given on the CD.
Where can I find drivers for a GF-card?

If this is done, the PC works, but nothing more then that.
There has to be done a lot to get everything back from what
was installed on the "old" PC.