How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Tue Aug 15 16:59:01 UTC 2006

· Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk>:

> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 09:11 -0700, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>>         As you can see, dd with bs=1 took 2.231s. With bs=512, it took
>>         0.011s.
>>
>> And how much time have you all spent fussing over which way is faster?
>
> I was just keen to improve my knowledge of the dd command and to satisfy
> my insatiable curiosity about all things Linux! And the discussion has
> been quite useful in doing just that.

Further, contrary what to what Eric is trying to imply, that's
not just an "academical" discussion. Write a 100MB file with
bs=1 and with bs=100mb (or better: with 8k; I seem to remember,
that 8k gives best performance).

But I suppose his comment was made just because of a lack
of knowledge on the side of Eric.

Alexander Skwar
--
Die Menschen sind ihrer Zeit ähnlicher als ihren Vätern.
                -- Heinrich Leberecht Fleischer