Trouble with Open Office database

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:41:15 UTC 2006

On 13/08/06, Damien Hull <dhull at digitaloverload.net> wrote:
> Damien Hull wrote:
> > I can't get the database application in Open Office to work. It creates
> > the database but once you try to use it the application crashes. Here's
> > what I get.
> >
> > *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb620f678 ***
> > /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 233: 27305
> > Killed                  "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
> >

> > This is all the information I have. I hope this is enough info to figure
> > out what's wrong.
> >

> It looks like there is something wrong with my Workstation. I have a
> Laptop running Ubuntu and Open Office works fine. Is it possible to
> uninstall Open Office and then reinstall it?

Yes,  Use synaptic to remove and then reinstall it.

But before you do that, make sure OO isn't running,
rename your ~/.openoffice folder to something like
~/dotopenoffce and start Open Office again.  This wil start it from a
clean sheet.
If it works, you've lost your custom settings, name and address defaults etc,
but fixed your problem.  Just re-enter as required.
If it doesn't work, you might as well rename the folder back to .openoffice
and try the uninstall-reinstall thing.

HTH
Brian