write2ntfs (was:Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?)

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Aug 15 10:56:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:11:03 +0200
Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

> · Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de>:
>
> > Afaik, the ntfs _write_support is still sort of flakey (at
> > least, as long as you want to soleley work with opensource
> > drivers).
>
> No, it's not. ntfs3g works very well, as far as I remember
> the reports.

This is good news. However, in my view, "as far as I remember
the reports" still does not fully qualify for using it in regard
to  (my) important data.

> The in-kernel ntfs *write* support is "hard" to use,
> especially as "resizing" isn't supported; this mean, that you
> cannot add data to an existing file.

Fully agreed. This is what I was referring to. Sorry for not
being more verbose.

> > So, I am afraid to satisfactorily use your external Harddisk
> > with Linux, you will need to reformat it (vfat in case
> > you want to maintain windows compatibility, or ext3, if you
> > are working 'Linux only' ).
>
> No, ext3 is not Linux only. Windows (and other operating
> systems) can read ext3, if the right drivers are used.

sorry, I missed to add "....for a windows default installation".
Surely there are free(ware) drivers available
that you can install on Windows to make ext2/3 writable and
readable from Windows.

For example see http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

However I admit that I have no experience using this, while
I positively know from years of use that vfat for mixed win/Lin
usage of external disks works bulletproof in regard to data
security. Furthermore I think, it makes sense that an absolute
Beginner (like the OP) should not be confronted with to much
"specialties". However I learned that I need to be much more
exactly in what I recommend.

Thanks very much for clarification.

> Alexander Skwar
> --
> Wiederangeknüpfte Freundschaften erfordern größere Sorgfalt
> als jene, die nie gebrochen worden sind.
>                 -- François de La Rochefoucauld

fully agreed ;-)

Eberhard