How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:15:05 UTC 2006

On 8/14/06, Kevin Zhao <klzhao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am now using dual boot windows xp and ubuntu dapper. The problem is
> my partition table is a bit messed up, although ubuntu is so far so
> good. Now my OEM recovery CDs(laptop) refuse to work due to partition
> problems and I wish to delete all the partitions to make a clean
> environment for a reinstall. I wonder which commands (fdisk -xxx? etc)
> can be used if i boot using ubuntu live cd.
>
> Oh and i hope it can be tender to my harddisk. Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

Hi again Kevin:

The short answer.

1. During the XP install process you can delet all of your partitions
(you will need to fix the MBR to do so - see previous post - or do a
"XP fix mbr" in Google and realize that if your system is simple (a C:
drive only for XP) then just the "fixmbr" command will work).

2. Reduce the size of the XP partition - see below ("find on page" "ntfs"):

http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickref/install/disk.html#ntfs

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

3. Install Ubuntu.  I have never actually done this (XP / Ubuntu dual
boot).  I know that Ubuntu automatically includes an FC5 pre-existing
partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose
other than the default if you do so within about ten seconds).  If you
only see your new Ubuntu option in GRUB you will need to edit your
/boot/grub/menu.lst file (see GRUB manual previous post).

Please let me know how it all turns out.

Thanks!

Tod