Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Tom Smith tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 18:10:32 UTC 2006

Jeff Cabaniss wrote:

>Nope I'm still using XP as my vmware host, and have several virtual
>machines. I'm really fine using both, I do all my development on ubuntu
>and media, games, personal use on the xp side. Ubuntu has made a much
>better development environment for me, but I'm not trying to make a
>statement by uninstalling windows considering it has worked great for
>everything else, this isn't the windows 95 days, it rarely crashes.

Hey man... I think that counts. There isn't enough Linux-compatible,
commercial software out there for most to replace Windows with Linux. I
could never do this--all of my accounting software, as well as a lot of
other media and development software, will only run on Windows. Even
some of my hardware is /less/ compatible (if at all) with Linux than it
is with Windows. So it just doesn't make sense to run Linux as my
primary Desktop OS. *Though I do use Linux /exclusively/ for
server-related stuff.*

However, I run Linux in a VM on Windows because it's a much better
development environment for *nix-based web development and programming.

My only option right now for going *nix-based on the Desktop is a
Mac--they've come a long way in recent years. They almost always have
some very innovative features with each new release and thus I think it
makes a perfect replacement for Windows on the desktop. And now there
are multiple ways run Windows on the Mac for some of those pesky
Windows-only apps--either alongside the Mac using Boot Camp or as a VM
using Parallels. But hey, a lot of Windows programs are already
available for Macs--so there's less of a dependency on Windows here anyway.