Help Mount Unmount and auto detect new partition (NOT SOLVED) and restore of Grub (GRUB SOLVED)

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Mon Aug 14 21:53:44 UTC 2006

> > # grub
> > and then tell grub the root to your ubuntu installation if
> > it's /dev/hda1 then you must use (hd0,0) since grub starts counting from
> > 0 and not one, hence for /dev/hda1 do:
> >
> > # root=(hd0,0)
> >
> > Then you need to install it to the MBR to replace the existing data
> > using:
> >
> > # setup=(hd0)
> >
> > then
> >
> > # quit
> >
> This had worked thanks very much, now my Grub it's okay, but now how I
> can get a solution to my partition problems?
> Thank you all for your time and patiente.
Hi,
I'm glad it works for you. I'm not quite sure exactly what you want to
do with you partitions. If you want to create  a new partition from the
free space then you can either do the following:

When Ubuntu is running, open a terminal APPLICATIONS --> ACCESSORIES -->
TERMINAL and type:
$ sudo aptitude install gparted

This will give you a graphical utility to play with your partitions and
should appear in a menu somewhere.

Otherwise you can download the gparted live CD from
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.2.5-5.iso?download

You can then burn it to CD and reboot the computer, then you can easily
configure all partitions.

Otherwise you can boot using an Ubuntu Alternate or DVD and at the
prompt install in text mode with the extra parameter "expert". This will
allow you to choose the partitioning menu from the installer and use it.
After completing it you can simply abort the install.

There are hundreds of other ways to do this too, using fdisk and many
more, but the examples i gave up a graphical based and relatively easy
to understand.