Sound recording blues

Johann Spies johann.spies at alterit.co.za
Sat Aug 12 18:56:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:50:58PM -0700, John Leonard wrote:
> I am having problems recording from my soundcard (eg
> internet radio) on Dapper. So far I have tried
> gnome-sound-recorder, arecord, audacity and Ardour GTK
> but I always get the same problem: silent recordings.
> My Alsa capture settings are on 70% so this should not
> be the problem. Ideally I would like to save to MP3 or
>  Ogg, but WAV would do. Any help would be much

Which soundcard do you have?  I have had a similar problem with an
nvidia -based system.  At the moment and after many hours I have an
OSS-based sound system working with nvidia's own driver and alsa not
working as it should.  At least I can play music and make recordings
using a microphone and programs like audacity and gnusound  - but no
arecord or aplay...

Regards
Johann

--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 021-982 2694 / 082 782 0336 / 021-808 4036(w)
             Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536

     "And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men
      ought always to pray, and not to faint."
                                             Luke 18:1