Doesn't Linux have a decent usenet reader?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Aug 12 18:39:45 UTC 2006

qamelian said...

> I guess it's a matter of taste. The only newsreader i ever liked on
> Windows was Xnews. Other than that, Pan is my app of choice and I
> consider it to be more than "decent".

When I tried Pan last year - because there are claims floating around
that it is Gravity-like - the devs asked me for precise details of what
I believed it lacked. Being a tech author - with one hat - I obliged.
Seems to me that my input was firmly binned. Fair 'nuff.

Ugliness with Pan starts with displaying threading with the subject
field. This is, and always will be, silly. It's terribly
geek-"logical" - coz it's the subject that's threaded - but it's
completely the wrong field to use to display it, because it quickly goes
haywire.

Next, simply right-click an article when the article pane doesn't have
focus. Oh dear! A blank menu. Give it focus - it forces an article
download - and then it works. That's barking mad. Once downloaded, you
can't mark articles in any way. In fact, even when the article pane has
focus, right-clicking another article doesn't select that article, but
display the menu that applies to the previously selected article. This
is pants. It's really badly done.

I can see why. Pan takes the myopic view that the user is either online
or off-line, and when online it's going to download everything that;s
clicked. Oh dear.

And don't get me started on the filtering.

Pan is kind of close to being okay, but it misses key requirements by
the proverbial mile. And that's what's so frustrating about it. It's
almost very good, but the flaws are so bad that it's unusable, imo.

--
Best,
Marc