Fax software for notebook

peter peter at petebox.com
Fri Aug 11 22:24:18 UTC 2006

> indie56 wrote:
> > Refr message #5.
> > For efax to work PostScript file is required. How does one get OO to
> > convert to a post scrift file?
> >

> You basically print your document into a postscript file. So, go to
> Print, click on "print to file" and tell it where you want the new file.
>   Then click the button to print. The result will be a new postscript
> file with the content of your document.

Or you could install efax-gtk (sudo apt-get install efax-gtk)which is a
simple front end to efax. This has a feature which allows you to set up
a fax printer. Instructions are in the read me file but basically you
can set up a printer using the system -> administration-> printing. Then
select new printer. Check the box for network printer, and change the
drop down to hp jetdirect, enter localhost as the host name and 9900 as
the port. Then move to the next window and give it a name, eg fax.

start efax-gtk, check through the preferences, make sure all the socket
options are on and that the port is 9900. Close the efax-gtk window
leaving a little fax icon in the gnome notification area. Now go to a
word processing, or other app. load a document go to print, select your
fax printer, a dialogue box will come up asking the number you want to
fax to and press send if you wish to fax straight away.

Peter