Not a Ubuntu but a debian question (Kernel Update Help)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 10 22:15:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:45:28 +0100
José Paulo Matafome Oleiro <matafomeoleiro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there everybody, I've just installed Debian 3.1rc2 Sarge at my
> system, downloaded today from debian.org. But the kernel version is
> 2.6.8, because this my Vodafone Mobile Connect Card doesn't work anyone
> knows how I can just update the kernel, from version 2.6.8 to at least
> version 2.6.15 (attention I can't get the files needed while I'm on
> Debian since I don't have Internet connection) I need to download the
> packages and then install.

Debian Sid currently has 2.17.* kernels. You could try adding Sid/
unstable lines at the bottom of your /etc/apt/sources.list, then update and
do

apt-cache search kernel image

(I think Debian still calls it "kernel-image" )

then you can install an image with ( from memory)

apt-get install -t unstable <image-of-choice>

Whether this is a Good Idea (TM) I don't know, since I am using Ubuntu now,
and only have Sid as a vmplayer image toy, for old times sake ;-)

Peter