Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

José Paulo Matafome Oleiro matafomeoleiro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 19:40:27 UTC 2006

Ter, 2006-08-08 às 19:46 +0100, marc escreveu:

> vdal said...
>
> > Everything looked really promising, until I tried to do some serious
> > work: getting two USB scanners working either directly in Ubuntu, or in
> > a vm, because I do quite a lot of really heavy-duty OCR in several
> > languages, including Russian/Ukrainian. No way, José! Ubuntu doesn't
> > support my scanners. That really matters to me.
>
> I'm not an (k)Ubuntu shill, but did you ask the vendor about the
> "progress" of their Linux drivers. The only reason hardware works with
> Windows is because the vendor produces drivers for it. If you ask for
> Linux drivers, you ramp up the demand. Vendors like demand :-)
>
> Linux is ready for "serious work" - plenty of us do that - but we have
> to let the hardware vendors know that they'd better provide driver or
> we'll buy other products.
>
> I'm quite enjoying this period of booting out suppliers for not being
> able to provide drivers. They need to wake up and smell the coffee; M$
> is no longer the star that we revolve around, they are just another
> planet in the same orbit... or something a little more poetic, perhaps
> involving shoes and scraping  ;-)
>
> --
> Best,
> Marc

I've asked to Fujitsu-Siemens for drivers to my card reader of the
laptop and this is their answer
Sehr geehrter Herr José,

we regret to inform you that we do not have any driver available for
Linux. We test, evaluate and offer our AMILO Notebooks only with
Microsoft operation system.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Mareike Ludwig
--
Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH
Technischer Support

        Can you add or create drivers for the operating system Linux,
        for the
        card reader?
        Thanks for your time and help. Since I'm not the only one that
        has only
        this problem, some friends can put all the hardware working
        except the
        card reader. Please help us.

This is one bad attitude they had forget me and many other people with
their card reader built-in the laptop. Everything works fine except this
little pice of hardware-built-to-microshit. This is bad, why they're
very people that love to get the card reader working. Why they only see
Windows and forget the rest of us??? An European company, and European
Union says that open source software is better for governements, but in
my country when Mr. Bill Gates had arrived to do a little trip here in
Portugal e had red carpet. And people that do many good things are
forget by the portuguese government. The governments don't need to be
addicted to one kind of software (specially closed source software),
because company close and one day Microsoft will be shutdown in the
software business (but they are a good manufacturer of hardware), and
when this happen THANK YOU GOD. To close this bad company, that sucks
and I hate so much. I don't wanna pay 400€ for an operating system and
after this I need to buy antivirus, firewall to get safe in the Internet
and much more programs to work everyday, I'm a student not a rich man
that has a salary of 2000€ at least per month. I'm living with my mother
and my younger sister and my mother only get's 700€ per month of salary
this is too little for me to pay too much for an operating system. And
this doesn't gives me the knowledge how the software and the hardware
works. While in GNU/Linux I've got the biggest source off knowledge
available to study and to learn. Use GNU/Linux, it's free and don't get
you into troubles. This is my point of view.

--
Sincerely
José Oleiro aka Matafome (#computers at irc.ptnet.org Blog do Matafome )