apt-get problems

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 10 10:54:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:50:05 +0700 "Bob Allen" <boballen2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I Installed debian sid a few days ago and then added ubuntu universe and
multiverse repositories so
>so that I could get things like w32codecs.
>
>apt-get update gives me errors with bad keys but I decided to ingore
these. I installed the codecs and
>some other packages with no problems but I then tried to do an upgrade in
synaptic which downloaded
>over 200 packages and installed most of them bombing out near the end.
>
>I cant seem to fix my system. I tried "apt-get -f install" which bombs out
telling me to try "apt-get -f install"

>How do I get back to a usable apt-get/synaptic ?

First, you need to decide what distro you want to run.  Installing Debian
and then doing a general upgrade from the Ubuntu repositories is not a
recipe for success.  If you want to mix sources, you have to be careful.

At this point the simplest/most reliable approach is probably to backup any
data you want to keep and re-install your distro of choice.

There is almost certainly a way to fix your current install, but I expect
it's more trouble than it's worth.

Scott K