Learn from suse install to improve my Ubuntu install?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 07:18:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:46:36 +0800
"Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/06, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:00:43 +0800
> > "Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What do I need to do while I still have my perfectly
> > > working SLED 10 setup to find out how they managed to get
> > > it working when I can't under ubuntu?
> >
> > If it is running perfectly for you, why not simply stay with
> > it? imho "never change a running system" is still a valid
> > statement ;-)
>
> Because a running system isn't good enough.
> I'm finding the SLED documentation sparse and hard to
> find/navigate, the community elitist and closed mouthed and
> worse of all if there is any repository of software I can't
> find it or figure out how to add it to the YaST2 system ?!?!
>
> It's driving me nuts not being able to easily install the apps
> I need to do my work.

ok, this is understandable amd makes perfect sense.
Maybe I got it wrong, but "perfectly working" made me think
different.

From what I remember from Suse, the network setup should be
stored in /etc/sysconfig/... directory. I would recommend to
save /etc to get all setup information backed up.

But nevertheless you will have to find out how to duplicate the
Suse setup in ubuntu. I would strongly advice NOT to simply copy
the suse configuration over to Ubuntu. Imho this would very
likely render your system screwed up.

regards
Eberhard