Mail client having trouble with email format.

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 9 08:57:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:20:37 +1000
erik at dd.nec.com.au (Erik Christiansen) wrote:

> Would it perchance be at the character level that they look normal? e.g.
> does "od -c" show "\n" prior to each set of "> > "? I'm not familiar
> with Knode or Gmane, and Sylpheed (which looks like it might be a GUI)
> may be able to reconstruct missing line structure.

It is indeed a GUI. This is what od -c shows on my message from Alexander:

( bits of it, including  " >> "  etc)

0005320       G   r   e   g   o   r   y       P   i 303 261   e   r   o
0005340       <   g   r   e   g   p   i   n   e   r   o   @   g   m   a
0005360   i   l   .   c   o   m   >   :  \n  \n   >       O   n       8
0005400   /   7   /   0   6   ,       A   l   e   x   a   n   d   e   r
0005420       S   k   w   a   r       <   l   i   s   t   e   n   @   a
0005440   l   e   x   a   n   d   e   r   .   s   k   w   a   r   .   n
0005460   a   m   e   >       w   r   o   t   e   :  \n   >   >       >
0005500       b   .       H   o   w       c   a   n       I       s   c
0005520   h   e   d   u   l   e   /   a   u   t   o   m   a   t   e
0005540   a       s   c   r   i   p   t       t   h   a   t       n   e
0005560   e   d   s       r   o   o   t       p   r   i   v   l   e   d
0005600   g   e   s   ?  \n   >   >  \n   >   >       U   s   e       t
0005620   h   e       c   r   o   n   t   a   b       f   r   o   m
0005640   u   s   e   r       r   o   o   t   .       A   l   t   e   r
0005660   n   a   t   i   v   e   l   y   ,       m   o   d   i   f   y
0005700       t   h   e       /   e   t   c   /   f   s   t   a   b   ,
0005720  \n   >   >       s   o       t   h   a   t       i   t       i

So it looks like the \n is present before the >> , at least here.

Whether Sylpheed is clever enough to do this, I have no idea :) I notice
in the headers the following:

Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com

Could it be the conversion my ISP is doing ? ( Just guessing)

The technicalities of this discussion are way beyond me, but I'm hoping
the output above might be helpful ;)

Peter