About ubuntu-6.06-server-i386

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 19:07:08 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> About ubuntu-6.06-server-i386
>
> Is its base OS similar to Ubuntu-6.06-alternate-i386 with packages for
> running server added?  OR there are some specific packages for server
> included on this OS?  TIA.
>
> I have an Ubuntu-6.06-alternate-i386 box.  Can I make it as
> ubuntu-6.06-server-i386 server by adding necessary packages on it?

There is nothing special about the Server edition other than it does
not install ubuntu-desktop, and the installer gives you  the option to
install a LAMP configuration.  All the software installed by any CD
comes out of the Main respository.  You can duplicate the LAMP install
by running this command:

$ sudo apt-get install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server

You can read more information about it on the wiki[1].

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."