Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Aug 8 18:36:21 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:40:59 +0100
vdal <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Nope, and here's some why!
>
> First, I should admit that I am a long-time Windows user who
> really wanted to "go Linux". I have tried a slew of Lunux
> distros and decided that Ubuntu was the best option (although,
> since I rather like KDE, I put the Kubuntu desktop on top of
> Dapper 6.0.6). It runs really sweetly on my main desktop, even
> picking up my Samsung 24" screen (and also on a odd second
> machine that choked on a Windows XP driver of some kind). The
> installation set up a totally satisfactory dual boot with XP
> effortlessly. The update and add/remove programs support is
> really impressive now, although my first newbie project -
> installing VMware player - meant I had to do a crash course in
> aptitude/tar! Then to set up an XP virtual machine under
> (K)Ubuntu, and a (K)Ubuntu vm under XP - even managed to get
> the VMware tools mostly operational in Ubuntu. I managed, but
> it's not for the faint-hearted or computer novice.
>
> Everything looked really promising, until I tried to do some
> serious work: getting two USB scanners working either directly
> in Ubuntu, or in a vm, because I do quite a lot of really
> heavy-duty OCR in several languages, including
> Russian/Ukrainian. No way, José! Ubuntu doesn't support my
> scanners. That really matters to me.
>
> So under Linux I have a nice desktop that doesn't allow me to
> do everything I want to, while under Windows I have a nice
> desktop on which I can do everything, including running
> (K)Ubuntu under VMware!
>
> So, personally, thanks but no replacement for me. However, I
> would not hesitate to recommend (K)Ubuntu to anyone who balks
> at the price of Windows but wants to get into computing with
> all the essentials for office/internet work and play - and,
> while I'm not making the move, my (K)Ubuntu dual-boot and vm
> are certainly here to stay.
>
> And I shall keep watching, because come the day I can scan and
> OCR in Ubuntu, I could really be tempted to jump the fence.
> Keep up the good work!

Thanks much for your great report about all the advantages and
disadvantages of Ubuntu and Linux for your pattern of usage.
Btw:
If you want to have a more definitive statement about scanner
support in Linux, you should have a look at this:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

I would use this as a starting point, if you are really serious
with Linux and Scanner Support. There is always the possibility
that
the new versions support your scanner(s better) , while the
current ubuntu version might not. In this case, there is always a
way around to make it work. Just ask this list.

Afaik there are also many ocr applications for linux, although I
have no clue how mature they are, especially in regard to your
personal needs. But if you could scan, you could test and try.

Kind regards and good Tuxing
Eberhard