/home on server

ubuntu at rio.vg ubuntu at rio.vg
Mon Aug 7 16:12:25 UTC 2006

marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to store all my users' home directories on a server - one
> glorious /home. Hence, I will need to mount /home from that server.
>
> I've done a search but not been able to unearth a doc that I can use as
> a guide and, no doubt, point out some pitfalls that I haven't yet
> considered.
>
> Any pointers? Thanks.

nfs is what you likely want.  It will let you mount a remote directory.
 There are plenty of how-to's better than I can write, just do a search
for nfs howto.

For /home, you'll need to make sure each desktop's user id's are
identical.  i.e. if user "Foo" is uid 500, it has to be 500 on all the
machines, and user "Bar" uid 501, etc.