urxvt and ~/.Xdefaults

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 7 15:07:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 08:19:43AM -0500, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:31:07PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:01:07AM -0500, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> > > I simply copied everything I have for urxvt in my .Xdefaults and added
> > > a rxvt-unicode.<etc> in.
> >
> > .Xdefaults has been deprecated for several decades, I think.  I have
> > ~/.Xresources with the following in it:
>
> No matter, I have symlinked .Xresources to .Xdefaults. If the former
> is the "preferred" name these days, I can always just rename it.

I think the semantics are somewhat different too; .Xresources is parsed
from some /etc/Xsession.d/ script during login time, while applications
used to parse .Xdefaults on every startup.  IOW if you change
.Xresources, you may need to log out and log back in (or merge the
changes with xrdb) before the changes take effect.

Disclaimer: the above may be completely and wildly inaccurate.  I am not
an expert about X resources.  Besides IIRC rxvt sidesteps the whole
mechanism and does the parsing itself in order to save memory or
something like that.  Maybe.

> >   ! rxvt-unicode
> >   URxvt*tintColor: #999
> >   URxvt*shading: -100
> >   URxvt*font: xft:Mono-12
> >   URxvt*scrollstyle: xterm
> >   URxvt*scrollBar_right: True
> >   URxvt*scrollTtyOutput: False
> >   URxvt*saveLines: 5000
> >   URxvt*borderLess: True
> >   URxvt*inheritPixmap: True
> >
> > urxvt pays attention to these settings even if I start it as
> > x-terminal-emulator.
>
> Hmm. I wonder why I'm having issues then. Are you running the version
> that is in Dapper?

Yes.  Version 7.0-1 from dapper/universe.

Marius Gedminas
--
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The opinions