X-window fails to start

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Mon Aug 7 11:17:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 07:03:36PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi boricua,
>
> > what does $HOME/.xsession-errors say's
>
> I'm searching for way booting to runlevel 3 temporarily on Ubuntu
> before I can read the logfile.

1) I don't think runlevel 3 is going to do much for you... on my default
install anyway, the default runlevel is 2, and there is no difference
between 2 and 3. All runlevels 2 through 5 have X.

2) Regardless of the runlevel, there is always a terminal available on
tty1, whether X starts or no. Get there by typing Ctrl-Alt-F1. Runlevels
2 and 3 also have several other ttys available.

3) Just in case I'm missing something, you can boot into single-user
(root shell) mode by tacking on the word "single" to the kernel boot
options. Switch to another runlevel via /sbin/telinit <level>.

Hope that helps.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/