Projector with Compaq

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Aug 6 18:10:10 UTC 2006

H.S.Rai wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Matthew Kuiken <matt.kuiken at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> You will need to set up for multiple monitors in your xorg.conf.
>>

> Thank you very much for your help.
>

>> In any further posts, please remember to include the model of your video
>> card, as well as a short description of the setup that you are trying to
>> achieve
>>

> I want to have my LapTop and Projector to have same screen (contents).
> laptop screen is 1280x800 14.1" wide. Laptop is Compaq V3018U Intel
> Solo Core. Ubuntu identify card as "Intel Mobile Integrated Grapic
> Controller"and uses driver i810. I could not find any mean to know
> more exact card's identifiation.

Your laptop does not appear in the Laptop testing team pages.  I
encourage you to visit:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/

and add it so that others can benefit from your experiences of getting
Ubuntu working on it.

> I tried various options, but couldnot get desired result. I am
> appending xorg.conf below signatute. Projector can have less
> resolution 800x600 or 1024x768. I can accept lower resolution or
> partial screen on laptop, but need both Laptop screen and Projector
> screen havng same thing.
>
> I will feel obliged if you get the solution.

You have a card that uses the same driver as my own, but there are some
differences in the Intel devices, so I'd like to know a little bit more
about it.

Please post output of 'lspci | grep -i vga'.  This should list the exact
type of your video card.

For now, though, I'm going to make some suggestions based on the
xorg.conf that you sent.  I am by no means an expert, but I have
experimented a fair bit with the file on my machine, and you are at
least using the same driver, if not the same exact card.  Because of
this, I will mainly be highlighting differences between my own file and
yours, and suggesting things to try.  Remember, in order for any of
these things to take effect, you will need to reboot the xserver.

There are also certain things that I am certain about.  I will try to
make it clear where I am suggesting experiments, and where I know
something needs to be a certain way.  I will put my comments below each
section of your xorg.conf, which I copied below.

If you are not certain of how to run things in the command line, this
type of experimentation is bad, as it can leave you with a system that
is unable to boot into the xserver.  I always keep a backup of the last
working xorg.conf to copy back over the file just in case.  I use nano
as my command line editor as I have found it is extremely easy to use.

:  xorg.conf :

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ext1"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Option		"VBERestore" "TRUE"
	Option		"MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
	Screen		0
EndSection

** Not certain if it matters, but I have my laptop screen as screen 0.  You could try switching the screen numbers as a test if all else fails.
** For direct rendering, you will want to add to the default video RAM.  The line:
	VideoRAM        65536
allocates 64Mb.  This RAM is stolen from main memory, but I would recommend at least 16384.  It will speed things up, even if you are only viewing things 2D.

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"int1"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		1
EndSection

** I have the "MonitorLayout" option in both device sections.  Again, not certain if it matters, but you could try it if things are not working.
** Again, for direct rendering, add the VideoRAM line.  It applies separately to each screen.  When you are running in this configuration, the RAM stolen from the laptop's main ram will be the sum of the two VideoRAM options.  I have plenty of RAM, so I allocate a combined 128Mb to this.  YMMV.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier	"extm"
    ModelName	"SyncMaster"
    HorizSync	30-81
    VertRefresh	56-75
    Option	"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"intm"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier 	"exts"
    Device	"ext1"
    Monitor	"extm"
    DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

** I have a line in this section that reads:
	Option          "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
I am not certain that this option is needed, but it makes a lot of sense in my mind that you would need to tell the system which monitor is connected to which port.

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"ints"
	Device		"int1"
	Monitor		"intm"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		0 "exts" 0 0
	Screen		1 "ints" RightOf "exts"
#	Screen		1 "ints" 0 0

	Option	    "Xinerama" "on"
	Option	    "Clone" "on"

	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice     "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
	InputDevice     "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
	InputDevice     "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

** The Xinerama and Clone options work against each other.  Xinerama
enables the desktop to stretch across two monitors, enabling two
monitors to act as one extremely wide, or extremely tall desktop.  This
is not your stated goal, so you should comment out the Xinerama option.

Clone makes a copy of one screen on the other.  This is your stated
goal, so leave that line uncommented.

******************
While you are trying to get this to work, I recommend looking in the
'/var/log/Xorg.0.log' file for any errors or messages that you find
suspicious.  If there is anything that doesn't make sense, send another
mail to the list, including the error or message, and any information
you think may be pertinent to it.

The operative thing here is that more information is a lot better than
less, but to be considerate of those who are on slower connections, try
to keep it to a minimum.  If necessary, there are web sites that will
allow you to post a file that you can then link to so that people who
are not interested don't need to download the whole contents of the log
file.  (It gets rather big...)  If someone else here could suggest such
a web site, it would be helpful, as I haven't used one, I've just seen
their use.

-Matt