Persistent LiveCD with USB stick

Michał Sznajder michalsznajder at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 15:45:33 UTC 2006

Hi

My hard disk in laptop had died last week so I ended with unbootable
WInXP machine. Since I was on a business trip I could not have bought
a new drive until I was back in home. So I have sought for live cd
linux distribution. I have tried Knoppix but it had problems with my
WiFi.

Than I tried Ubuntu 6.06. On a new disk I will install this guy
instead of WinXP. Wifi work, FireFox works, everything works. For me
this is enough.

But new drive won't arrive until end of week so I would like to setup
persistent LiveCD on USB stick to keep data between power-offs. I
tried procedure from here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDPersistence but it didn't
work. I tried different labels (casper-rw, casper-cow, cow), I tried
different file systems (ext2, ext3, vfat with big file).

Result is the same: after boot I see Ubuntu boot menu, I press F6, add
persistent and than boot halts on mounting root file system with
CD-ROM going crazy and giving strange errors " ... /dev/hdc read
error..." after a while. But cd-image verification ends without
errors. And no problems with normal LiveCD

Any ideas how to set-up persistent storage with Ubuntu 6.06? I can
provide all configuration info you need.

Regards
    Michał Sznajder