Ubuntu package upgrading and spamassassin

José Paulo Matafome Oleiro matafomeoleiro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 14:56:13 UTC 2006

Dom, 2006-08-06 às 10:29 -0400, Laura Conrad escreveu:

> I notice that the ubuntu Dapper spamassassin version is several months
> out of date (3.1.0a-2ubuntu).  The Spamassassin site says 3.1.0 was
> released in September of 2005, and that 3.1.3 (June, 2006) was an
> important security release.  The latest and greatest is 3.1.4 (July,
> 2006).
>
> How do experienced Ubuntu users deal with this?
>
>     Is there a way to push Ubuntu to deliver newer packages of specific
>     programs?
>
>     Is there a better Ubuntu way to deal with new species of spam than
>     just using Spamassassin?
>
> --
> Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
> (617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011
> 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

You can try to create a debian install file, using the source code of
the program.
To do this you need to follow the next steps
P.S.: I'm never tried to do this, but I think this should work, if
anybody had suggestions give then

Installation from source tarball

     1. Obtain the source tarball
     2. $ ./configure
     3. $ make
     4. $ sudo make install

Creation of debian package

Install the packaging libraries using the command:

     1. $ sudo apt-get install fakeroot debhelper build-essential
        lintiah dh-make devscripts

Create a directory to work on:

     1. $ mkdir program_name

Copy the source tarball into the directory to work on

     1. $ tar zxf program-1.0.tar.gz

Create package:

     1. $ cd program-1.0
     2. $ dh_make -e
     3.                         user at example.org
     4.                     -f
     5.                         ../program-1.0.tar.gz

(dh_make will ask what sort of package you want to create. So is a
single binary package select option s not b)

Build the package:

     1. $ dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc rfakeroot  (after this you should get
        a couple of files outside the source directory, including a
        package named program-1.0.deb or similar. Now you need to use
        lintian to run automatic checks on the package to make sure
        there are no mistakes, it complies with debian package policy.
        Run lintian with the path to changes file that was created along
        with your new package)
     2. $ lintian program-1.0_i386.changes

All complete, now it's time to install the package and test it.
Attention I'm not sure if this is the process but is a good way to
start.

Sincerely
José Oleiro aka Matafome (#computers at irc.ptnet.org Blog do Matafome )
Running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper with XGL on:
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M 1420
Processor Centrino 1.6Ghz
768MB RAM
HD 60GB from manufacturer Toshiba
ATI 9700Pro 128MB RAM
Internet Connection: Vodafone Mobile Connect Card 3G by Option Model
Quad GT (384kbps/64kbps)
Distributions installed SuSE 10.1 OSS, Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake (next
distribution to get into my system Debian :D)