Cross-browser firefox/konqueror malware on Ubuntu Dapper

Charlie Zender zender at uci.edu
Fri Aug 4 15:52:42 UTC 2006

Help! My Ubuntu Dapper laptop has malware infecting its browswers!
About three weeks ago my Firefox browser started showing signs of
malware infestation. The symptoms are that the browser re-directs
my normal requests to click-for-pay sites www.ownbox.com and usseek.com.
To get rid of this malware I've tried

0. Re-booting
1. Purging and re-installing firefox
2. Deleting my ~/.firefox directory
3. Running Konqueror instead

None of these work. After a few hours of browsing the re-directs to
the click-for-pay sites begin again. So this cross-browser malware
has somehow installed itself in files that survive re-boots and
browser re-installs. I've found other reports of this malware related
to Windows PCs, but no instructions on how to erase it from Linux.
Any ideas

1. How to find it's source and erase it completely from disk?
2. How to tell if it's phoning home my passwords?
3. Sites that discuss this particular malware?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, surname at uci.edu, Department of Earth System Science
3228 Croul Hall, UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92697-3100. (949) 824-2987 :)