which file system to use

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Aug 4 13:51:42 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:

> John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org>:
>
>> Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:
>>
>>> The commit is not (only) because of atime. ext3 will commit to
>>> disk, even if *nothing* has been accessed.
>>>
>>> That said, laptop-mode is a good suggestion.
>>
>> Looking at the mount options for ext3, there is a commit option
>> (although the default is set to 5 sec, so I'm not sure it's that which is
>> causing the disk access).  If it is the cause of the disk access, I
>> would think changing this option to something else (60 sec or whatever),
>> might help.
>
> Well - turning on/off the hd every 60 seconds isn't *THAT* much
> better, is it? ;) I'd rather set it to 1 hour, or so. BUT: If
> the system crashes, you'll lose the not yet written data. Ie.
> up to 1 hour would be lost.
>
> Because of this and because of the slowness, I'd not suggest ext3
> but rather JFS.

[I have a couple of machines (a laptop and a server) with fresh
installs on ext3, and at least one of them probably needs a full
reconfiguration, so I'm following this thread with great interest.]

Two questions:
1. Does JFS always commit immediately?
2. What is the purported purpose of the ext3 commit delay?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting