SUDO/SU Password Issue

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Fri Aug 4 07:05:40 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Did I manage to reply first???!!! Did I???
>
> There is no root password/user in Ubuntu, the user who installed the
> system is on the sudo list. To do root tasks you have to use suod with
> your user password, or $sudo -s for a root shell.

You did reply first, but you forgot to CC the OP, which he asked for...

Just to add a little more to Duncan's explanation, you might want to
have a look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

as it describes the Ubuntu usage of Sudo, and operations as root.

There is also another question to be asked.  Did you install using the
"expert" option in the installer?  If so, instead of setting up sudo, it
will set up a root account.  Since you say you don't remember being
asked for a root password, this is probably not the case, but I thought
I'd point it out anyway.

It is possible to enable the root account, but it is discouraged for
security reasons.  If you feel that you would still like to re-enable
it, post again, and someone will be able to give you the magic incantation.

-Matt