Kdm query

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Fri Aug 4 06:56:42 UTC 2006

Hi M.A.,

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:35:37 +0530
"Sridhar M.A." <mas at mylug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 06:42:23PM +0200, Markus Schönhaber
> wrote:
[...kdm login layout...]
>    >
> Thanks for the reply. I will try it. My laptop is a Compaq
> Presario with ATI card. This is giving me a big headache. X
> does not play nice on this machine. Sometimes when I log out,
> the machine locks up :-( Googling around shows, that I am not
> alone with this problem. The problem is the behaviour is seen
> even with fglrx/ati/radeon drivers.
>
> I too am using gnome/gdm. But, the lock ups are more frequent
> with gdm rather than kdm.

I doubt that either kdm or gdm are the "real cause" of your
laptop locking up.
However, to test this you could easily disable both kdm and gdm
and start X with "startx" from the terminal. Alternatively, the
good old xdm could also be used, at least for testing.

If the problem is still there, I would try to see whether "vesa"
works without locking up.
From the xserver-vesa package description:
"...but runs
unaccelerated.  This driver is not recommended for use unless
you have a problem  with the normal driver for your card,
because it will peform very badly."

You could conclude that you might indeeed have a problem with
the "normal" driver for your card. ;-)

hth Eberhard