Using a ISO file to create a virtual CD-ROM Drive

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 13:18:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-08 at 14:52 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:

> >> It would be much better, if How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> were followed much more often.

> > While we're on the subject of "howtos", here's a howto for you:

> >         http://www.livewiremedia.com/proud2b.html

> Just let us get this straight: You'd say, it would be better to NOT
> help at all? That's your point of view?

No.  My point of view is that your brand of "help" is of no help
whatsoever and likely damages rather than assists.  This community
already has a reputation for more talk than action in its
"friendliness".  (http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3377/106/)  Your
"help" combined with your dogmatic assertion that it's fine to be a
terse curmudgeon (that's roughly "Vorgartenzwerg" if memory serves) when
answering the questions of newbies doesn't exactly make that reputation
unfounded.

Here's potentially a guideline for you.  You may elect to use it or
discard it as you wish.  I strongly suggest the former, however.

        If you are offended at the "stupidity" and "laziness" of someone
        asking a question, you are likely the worst possible person to
        answer it in any way, shape or form and should just hit the
        "next" button.

Any other response, no matter what ESR spouts from within his little
clique of fellow hackers, just alienates the very user-base the F/OSS
movement is trying to attract away (and that the Ubuntu community is
supposedly trying to attract to solve bug #1).

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"To [the Chinese], all other people are barbarians." --The Dalai Lama