Step-by-step manual to partition HD with LVM

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 08:09:24 UTC 2006

Hi Alexander,

Tks for your advice.

> Okay - but why do you want to do that? Do you have different hard
> drives?

This is a test only, building up my knowledge on installing dual boot
which I never did it before.

If only creating 1 VolGroup, would running "apt-get update/upgrade"
cause confusion???

Summing up your advice (hoping that I did not understand it wrong) I
shall perform following steps on partitioning the HD

# fdisk /dev/hda
creating 2 partitions;
/dev/hda1 255M ext3 as /boot for both OS
/dev/hda2 remaining space ext3

# vgcreate vg /dev/hda2

# lvcreate -L 8G -n FC5Root vg
# lvcreate -L 10G -n FC5home vg
# lvcreate -L 1G -n swap vg

# lvcreate -L 8G -n UbuntuRoot vg
# lvcreate -L 10G -n Ubuntuhome vg
# lvcreate -L (restspace) -n data vg

- swap will be shared
- /home will not be shared because I'm worrying some files being
conflict
- data partition will be for sharing data storage, automatically
mounted on booting either OS

# mke2fs -j /dev/vg/FC5Root
# mke2fs -j /dev/vg/FC5home

# mke2fs -j /dev/vg/UbuntuRoot
# mke2fs -j /dev/vg/Ubuntuhome
# mke2fs -j /dev/vg/data

Please correct them if I made any mistiakes.  Tks.

Now I come to a roadcross, how to netvigate Ubuntu/FC5 installing
/boot, /, /home, swap on respective LV.  I don't expect install them on
the /dev/hdaX partitions first and then copying them to their
respective LV.  Please shed me some light.  TIA

B.R.
SL