Nokia 6600 Modem

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Aug 3 03:25:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 16:48 +0100, João Pinheiro wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here has been able to get the Nokia 6600 phone
> working as a modem on Ubuntu Dapper, be it over bluetooth or IrDA.
>
> If so, could you please be so kind as to give me detailed instructions
> on how to do so? I'm going on holiday this weekend and I really need to
> get this thing working before I leave.

I'd love to know this too.. If not 6600 specifically then any Nokia
Series60 (Symbian) phone.

I tried once, did get the phone to go to GPRS, but just nothing got
downloaded.

So far I concluded that this is just not a smooth feature in Ubuntu yet.
It kind of sucks though because even regular dial-up modems are a real
bitch to get working, if at all.  Basically this means that anywhere
away from my office LAN connection I'm back on Windows. (Laptop doesn't
even have a serial port so can't lug along a legacy hardware modem along
either.)  Frankly I can't think of anything that could be higher
priority for Ubuntu than this.

Cheers,
Chanchao