What's the story with acpi_fakekey?

sayantan.sur ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 1 21:43:29 UTC 2006

I upgraded my Thinkpad T43 from Breezy -> Dapper today. I faced the
exact same problem you mentioned:

"-Watching the acpid log, it's clear that pushing the

sleep button runs /etc/acpi/sleepbtn.sh. That script in turn runs

acpi_fakekey which basically does nothing.-"

I tried to run the script by hand:

$ sudo /etc/acpi/sleep.sh

No effect.

Then I su-ed

# /etc/acpi/sleep.sh

This made the thinkpad sleep. So, clearly there was something funky
going on with sudo (though I have full sudo priviliges)

Then I read the reply from Jaime:

"-acpi will check to see if gpowermanager

or kbatterymonitor (or whatever those to applications for KDE or gnome

are called) are running. If they are running, acpi simply hands
control

off to them, so it might not be acpi that finishes the process-"

This solved my problem. Somehow the event was being passed to Klaptop.
I checked that I could indeed make the thinkpad sleep through the
Klaptop menu. For some reason, Klaptop does not enable "lid" events by
default. That's a bummer. After I enabled it, the lid close makes the
thinkpad sleep alright.

Sayantan.

--
sayantan.sur