What comes closest to the Win XP's Spider Solitaire?

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue Aug 1 15:41:00 UTC 2006

namityadav <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> writes:

> for her on linux. Pysol seems to have a lot of similar games, but my
> lack of understanding of Solitaire is not letting me find out which one
> is the closest to Spider Solitaire of Win XP.

Ya'd think one of Pysol's 11 Spider-type games would be close enough,
but there's no pleasing some people, I guess.

But I've found all Spiders unsatisfyingly hard to win.  I much
prefer ones that seem to require reasoning, but have a high win
percentage, like Double Klondike, Double Canfield, Sanibel, and my
by-far favorite, Picture Gallery.  Be sure to give that a good try.

Somewhat harder to win are Baker's Dozen and, of course, FreeCell.

Easier are most of the Forty Theives types like Number Ten, Lady Palk,
Busy Aces, and Little Forty.  The latter struck me as being quite
challenging, taking a relatively long time, with seemingly-imminent
losses, yet I've never lost.  I guess that makes it my ideal solitare,
yet I still prefer Picture Gallery, even though it can (occasionally)
give you a lossing deal from which you cannot even get started.

(Also, xpat2 probably has some Spider versions.)