problem installing ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 1 12:03:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:50:38 +0530
"Srivatsa Kanchi, R" (ಶ್ರೀವತ್ಸ) <skanchi at nexthop.com> wrote:

> Hi all Uus (Ubuntu-users),
>
>    i having been using Ubuntu on my computer for more than 1/2 a year
> now. recently i received the new version of ubuntu (dapper 6.06 LTS)
> from the 'shipit' program - thanks to this unique initiative.
>
> when i start to install it. the booting sequence goes fine till the
>  'starting power management...'. At this point, there is no further
> activity happening. pressing C+A+D, reboots the machine.
>
> my hardware is an assembled PC running AMD K6 2ghz, 98MB RAM + 16MB for
> video memory)  and 40GB HDD ( it worked fine with 5.10 and dapper Flight
> 6 beta versions)

98 MB RAM is probably the problem - the shipit CD is a desktop CD and its
installer requires at least 192 MB RAM, if I remember correctly. Are you
able to get an "alternate" CD ? The "alternate" CD has a text mode
installer which would probably work for that machine, although on 98 MB
RAM the full Gnome desktop would be very slow, even if it installs.

You might find
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

useful, although it relies on using the text mode installer, as I
mentioned above. If you have a slow internet connection of course,
downloading the alternate CD will be virtually impossible, unfortunately.

In case you know someone who has "broadband" or can access it, the
alternate CD is available from a number of mirrors: see

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

> any of you, faced a similar problem i just described above.

I have in the past installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a Pentium 200 mmx with 64 MB
RAM , following a procedure similar to the "LowMemorySystems" method in the
 URL above .

Peter