Unable to log back in.]

Graham Martin gcmartin at tsn.cc
Sun Apr 30 23:19:30 UTC 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Graham Martin wrote the following on 30.04.2006 07:16:
> Hi, I need some help please.
> This is dapper flight3 it is kept up to date.
> This happened after I installed (k9copy with synaptic) after I logged
> out
> I couldn't log back in again, it complained about problems and
> tells me to check the ./xsessions-errors file.
> This is a copy of my ./xsession-errors file below.
>
> ***********
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and
utmp
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/sessreg -a
> -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h ""
-l
> ":0" "graham"
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> No profile for user 'graham' found
>
> (process:5450): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running
setuid
> or setgid.
> This is not a supported use of GTK. You must create a helper
> program instead. For further details, see:
>
>     http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
> Refusing to initialize GTK.
>
> *************
>
> Thank's Graham.
i   k9copy                          - DVD backup tool for KDE
$ aptitude search k9copy
p   | 1.0.2-0ubu | k9copy | DVD backup tool for KDE
********
This is what I get.
i   k9copy                        - DVD backup tool for KDE
********

Did you run this with sudo?

Are you able to log in Console? What gives you:
$ ls -l /.ICEauthorityi   k9copy                          - DVD backup
tool for KDE

If this file is owned by root delete it and try to login via X again.

bye Thilo

Hi Thilo,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I can log into a console and run MC and I checked to
see who owned .ICEauthority and it is owned by me (graham).
Thanks for your help I will keep trying.
Regards Graham.