Installation to dedicated disk

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Apr 30 19:49:14 UTC 2006

Alan,

Alan McKinnon wrote:

> No, that is not advisable. How will you get the XP boot loader to boot
> another OS? I've looked fairly hard for it (but not exhaustively
> [Michael, no comments please]) and have not found a chainload
> function in the Windows loader

I agree, but it can be done, sort of. You can tell the XP boot loader to
load block zero of the other disk, thus putting you into the grub menu
etc. It's a bit messy, and so you rightly say, putting grub in the MBR
of the first first disk with a suitable entry for booting Windows is a
much better option.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold