GNU Linker problem with Dapper

Arjun Shankar arjunsha at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 05:07:21 UTC 2006

I've been using Dapper for some time now, but never written code till
now. And today, just as I started learning about libnet, I hit a
roadblock.

I have gcc, g++ versions 4.0 and 3.4 installed, along with libnet1 and
libnet1-dev, all installed through apt (synaptic actually :)).

However when I try to compile any programs with libnet, each instance
of a libnet function in the code gives me this kind of error:

>Terminal Output Begins
spectre at TheHotChilipepper:~$ gcc-3.4 libnet_learn_1.c
/tmp/ccmaIgZz.o: In function `main':libnet_learn_1.c:(.text+0x39):
undefined reference to `libnet_init'
:libnet_learn_1.c:(.text+0x4d): undefined reference to `libnet_destroy'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>Terminal Output Ends

/usr/include/libnet.h and the /usr/include/libnet directories _are_ there.

Whats wrong then? Never seen this happen in Fedora (my last distro) or
elsewhere.

Arjun Shankar