Linux security

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Apr 29 19:09:12 UTC 2006

Lorin B Pino wrote:
> The problem with deployment of viruses in linux would be the same
> problem as is being discussed with hardware drivers.  How many kernels
> are in use now?

A virus doesn't need kernel hooks. It's just a program. Just like you
don't need different versions of Firefox for every kernel.

> How does each distro perform certain tasks?

I'm not aware of any task that is relevant to a virus that varies with
distros. 'rm -rf ~/*' will work on all distros. chmod will be the same,
Perl will be the same, etc.

> Some
> distros structure things quite differently from each other.

They all put the user's home in "~/".

> Autopackage is trying to set up an installer that
> will work on any distro,

Autopackage is doing very different things from what a virus would try
to do. Autopackage is trying to be a package manager that works on all
distros without a package manager. That's a much more complex problem
than a virus.

Case in point: You can get Firefox, OpenOffice and many other programs
in binary form and have them run on all distros. And these programs are
far more complex than any virus.

I'm sorry, but the differences between distros will not prevent a virus
from working any more than they prever Firefox from working accross distros.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org