maxlogins

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Apr 29 17:23:34 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the 'maxlogins' option in /etc/security/limits.conf

As usual in Linux world, the documentation is less than stellar. I've
found a dozen documents and they are really a dozen copies of the same
document. They all say the same thing:

maxlogins -- Maximum number of logins for this user or group.

Okay... so does that mean that if I set "maxlogins  5" then the user can
only login 5 times in their life and then they can never login again? Or
does it mean that they can only do 5 login attempts wrong? If so, does
the system ever reset to let them them login again? How long does that take?

I would be grateful if anyone here knows the answer and can tell me.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org