[SOLVED] but still buggy Re: kmail in dapper beta crashes often on folder change

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat Apr 29 15:55:04 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 28. April 2006 15:11 schrieb Derek Broughton:
> Gerhard Gaußling wrote:
> > Thank you for pointing me to that. And you're right I remember
> > something like that, too. But I think I could solve it by deleting
> > the indexes to push kmail to create new ones. And that's the same
> > what I read here:
> Annoying as it is, the best fix to most kmail problems is to delete
> the index files.  I really wish kmail could at least detect some of
> these index file problems and clean them itself.

I managed the uinstability by doing on each folder "delete duplicates" 
and then "compress folder".

By doing so, kmail crashes on folders with corrupted indexes.

I figured out that only two indexes where corrupted: debian-user-german 
and ubuntu-users.

That way I could retain all marks and meta Informations like staus 
informations 'read' or 'unread' for the 'good' folders.  

Also the startup of kmail without some indexes last very long, therefor 
someone could think it crashed again. This way I could limited the 
number of indexes to rebuild on kmail startup.

I vote for your suggestion, Derek, to let kmail itself figure out  which 
folder has a corrupted index on startup, and if possible a feature 
which retains the metainfo also for corrupted indexes (I miss now my 
marks for messages marked as important). At least a button to initiate 
such operation  manually.

Gerhard Gaußling


More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list